Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question about Inland vs Outland
11-23-2012, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2012 12:04 AM by linda991.)
Question about Inland vs Outland
[/size]Hi!

Ive been trying to call the CIC call centre for about a week without getting through to an agent. So Ill try asking my question here.

Ive been living with my Common-law partner in Canada for about 2 years now. My question is if I still can apply from Outside Canada (Outland) for the sponsorship, even though I am in Canada and will stay here.

My work permit expires in the end of December (not extendable) How long can I after that stay in Canada, if my application is already sent in.

Also should I in the generic application form for Canada, write my residential address in Canada where I now live, or my Swedish address? since Im applying from outside.

Would greatly appreciate answers,

Linda
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2012, 03:25 PM
RE: Question about Inland vs Outland
Inland versus Outland relates to where the foreign national's part of the application is processed.

Inland: processed in Canada, requires that you must be in Canada
Outland: processed outside Canada, requires that you be alive

CIC's description on the website is terrible. But these folks are geographically challenged - Ottawa (which processes Outland applications for people legally admitted to Canada or the US for at least a year) is considered to be "outside Canada".

If you apply Outland, you have no legal right to remain in Canada even with a PR application in process. You may request a change to visitor status and indicate you have a PR application pending and would like to remain with your partner while it is being processed but there is no guarantee it would be granted (it usually would be, but it is not guaranteed). Only an inland application gives you the legal right to remain in Canada while the PR application is processed.

You can write either one. I applied outland ("Ottawa") and listed residential and mailing address as being our place here in Canada.

Good luck!

FSW: App 6/09, reject 12/11, JR leave 7/12, discontinued 9/12
Spousal: App 3/12, sponsor approval 6/12, PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012.
12-03-2012, 04:24 AM
ComputerGeek,

I am an australian citizen living in ontario, commonlaw with my partner since dec 2009, i originally thought inland was the best way to go but am now almost certain i want to go the outland route especially since you say i can send it to ottawa? Only problem is i already had my medical examination so that i had done everything to send off so there would be no hold-ups. is there any difference in the medical forms? the doctor sends them off now so i dont know if i am now forced to finish my application as inland or or i can go the other route?
12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
From what I can tell, as of November 1, 2012 there is no longer any difference in the sponsored spousal inland versus outland medicals (the new "e-Medical" system). But I'm not 100% certain that this is the case, either (there shouldn't be - they are both excessive demand exempt or "EDE").

If you are Australian, you may wish to apply through Sydney. The processing time through Sydney is one of the fastest offices in the world (7 months last I checked for 80% of applications). Since you are in Canada, you have the option: Ottawa or Sydney (outland) or of course Vegreville (inland).

Good luck!

12-03-2012, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 11:16 PM by capdaddy23.)
Ozinon,

I recently completed my application Outland from Toronto and am an Australian, applying for common law as well. Applying through Sydney is by far the best option especially if you Australian. It out ways the benefits of Inland and by all accounts is a lot quicker. I created a new thread a few days ago (APPLICATION PROCESS: TORONTO (Common Law)) in regards to applying for the application from Toronto, which may be helpful to you as it included locations and cost, etc.. You can find it here: http://roadtocanada.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=8263
12-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Thank you so much for the answer!
01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi I was hoping someone could just clarify a few things for me regarding the inland/outland business. I am a UK citizen living with my Canadian husband of 6 years and two kids in UK at the moment, but we are planning to move back to Canada ASAP. He will be going over in about a months time and I will follow a month later. I am in the process of starting an outland application but I am a bit confused/unsure about the following:
1. When I apply do I physically have to be in the UK? From the posts it seems I can be either in UK or Canada. Does it matter?
2. If I apply in the UK and then go to Canada a month later will it be allowed and do I then give my UK address on appl and change it later or start with a Canadian address?
3. Where should my husband be with all of this? In or outside Canada?
4. Do we need to send our passports for both my husband and myself or can we provide certified copies, as we will obviously need it to travel.
5. When entering Canada on UK passport am I allowed to stay there until PR is approved or do I need to apply for a visitors visa, or leave and re enter the country.
01-13-2013, 04:12 PM
(01-13-2013 01:30 PM)addaco Wrote:  Hi I was hoping someone could just clarify a few things for me regarding the inland/outland business. I am a UK citizen living with my Canadian husband of 6 years and two kids in UK at the moment, but we are planning to move back to Canada ASAP. He will be going over in about a months time and I will follow a month later. I am in the process of starting an outland application but I am a bit confused/unsure about the following:
1. When I apply do I physically have to be in the UK? From the posts it seems I can be either in UK or Canada. Does it matter?

For outland you can be ANYWHERE and submit the application. As a UK citizen, you could be living in Indonesia and still apply outland via London. You could also be living in Ottawa and apply via London.

(01-13-2013 01:30 PM)addaco Wrote:  2. If I apply in the UK and then go to Canada a month later will it be allowed and do I then give my UK address on appl and change it later or start with a Canadian address?

You can do it pretty much any way. My suggestion would be to list your UK residential address and your Canadian mailing address - that way correspondence will be sent to the Canadian address.

(01-13-2013 01:30 PM)addaco Wrote:  3. Where should my husband be with all of this? In or outside Canada?

Since he's a Canadian Citizen, he can be anywhere. If he is living outside Canada, he needs to provide a plan for returning to Canada, but it sounds like that's already in the works, so it's not going to be an issue.

(01-13-2013 01:30 PM)addaco Wrote:  4. Do we need to send our passports for both my husband and myself or can we provide certified copies, as we will obviously need it to travel.

You won't be required to send your actual passports anywhere any longer. As a UK Citizen, you are visa exempt and London normally only requests a copy of all the pages of your passport before they issue the Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR).

(01-13-2013 01:30 PM)addaco Wrote:  5. When entering Canada on UK passport am I allowed to stay there until PR is approved or do I need to apply for a visitors visa, or leave and re enter the country.

You are visa exempt, so normally all you need is to obtain a "visitor record" at the port of entry (POE). You should be prepared to show them at least a copy of your receipt for payment of the PR application fees, but if your sponsor has already been approved (that presently takes about 45 days) a copy of that letter is very good to have as well. You then explain that you would like to visit your husband and children in Canada until the PR application has been approved. The border officer will then issue a "visitor record" that documents how long you may stay in Canada. If that is not enough time, you may apply for an extension from inside Canada - just remember to apply before your visitor record expires so that even if it takes them three months to process your extension request you are covered by "implied status".

You don't mention to which province you will be moving, so I will suggest you check into the availability of health coverage. Some provinces (notably Ontario) are stingy and will not extend health care to outland spousal PR applications until they land. Others (AB, BC, SK, NS, and PEI) will extend health care to you as long as you are living with your spouse/partner in Canada with a PR application in process.

Good luck!

05-31-2014, 04:08 AM
PLEASE HELP
I have read a number of your threads and advice given to several people that have a variation of our same situation.

Background:
My husband and I went to university together and dated for over three years before legally being married in Toronto in February. I am here on a visitors visa as I am a US citizen. We have no criminal background history or anything else that we assume would cause hang ups on our applications.

We are looking at applying for spousal sponsorship/PR and understand most of the differences between inland and outland sponsorships and which forms need to be filled out. Although my husband is working and is able to provide for both of us I still want to work, it's in my nature. Thus we are trying to chose the application that would allow me to work the fastest. Since I am here on a visitors visa I am currently unemployed and not allowed to look for work.

Inland: advantage=being able to work after first stage sponsorship approval as we would allowed for an open work permit when sending in our "5298" immigration forms.

Is it true that leaving the country (even if my husband and I are going on holiday together) that it is possible I would be denied re-entry even if my visitors visa was current and up to date?

Outland: faster? generally? I have read all the wait times and don't know if the 15 months for Ottawa is true for our case.

Huge disadvantage: (unsure on any of the following) that I cannot apply for an open work permit and this point and would have to find an employer to basically say I am needed to their business (hard to prove when I am hoping to have my own nutrition consolation business online).

My main "questions" are in bold. But my two priorities are working asap and it would be nice to be able to travel back to the states (problem with inland?). We are both residing in Toronto and plan to live here for quite some time. If you were in our situation which would you do?

If I write anything incorrectly please feel free to let me know! Thank you so much. You have no idea what you do for people like us, your advice is greatly appreciated.
06-01-2014, 03:25 AM
First, it is not true that you are "not allowed to look for work". You are not allowed to work, but you are certainly not barred from seeking work.

You might have a "visitor record" but because you are a US citizen you don't have a "visitor visa". Similar name, but different documents.

Do you qualify for a NAFTA position? Those are some technical/professional/managerial positions. If so, that's the fastest way for you to start working.

Otherwise, you can wait ~10 months for the Inland process (where you can get an open work permit after approval in principle) or you can wait ~10 months for the Outland process (where you become a PR and thus don't need a work permit).

The waiting time on the CIC website is for 80% of applications. If you look at data.gc.ca you can see the detailed data set (it's easy to find as it is the # 1 dataset by popularity). It will show you the time for 20, 30, 50, 70 and 80%. 50% is a better figure and that seems to be running 8-9 months.

Any time you enter Canada, you are subject to examination. If an officer deems that you are inadmissible, you can be refused entry into Canada. It's very unlikely absent some other issue (e.g., criminality). CBSA officers don't refuse people for "no reason".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  COPR question ..... Benni 4 119 10-26-2014 03:59 PM
Last Post: Benni
  Outland Application While Living in Canada alyspads 5 212 10-20-2014 01:30 AM
Last Post: alyspads
  outland with overstayed couper 2 130 10-11-2014 05:53 PM
Last Post: computergeek
  PR Outland Sponsorship neochanges1 4 215 10-08-2014 10:05 AM
Last Post: neochanges1
Question Fee Payment for Outland Application - Quick Help Please happylife 1 190 10-04-2014 12:26 AM
Last Post: miablake
  Change from inland to outland application cazk21 12 419 09-19-2014 11:16 PM
  Spouse sponsorship - inland or outland? Plus work travel?? Albajavi 3 412 09-18-2014 05:33 PM
Last Post: Albajavi
  Sponsorship Question Nancwilt57 6 410 09-09-2014 12:34 AM
Last Post: miablake
  visiting home (inland ) faithheals 1 178 09-06-2014 11:29 PM
  car importing question canadianwife 2 202 09-02-2014 07:19 PM
Last Post: ISP221