Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Border crossing - advice please
06-30-2012, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2012 01:12 AM by LovingMyCanuck.)
Border crossing - advice please
So I have been reading around and asking around about my situation and I wanted to know your guy's take. So my husband (Canadian) will be flying down from Edmonton to the US. 5 days later we will be both flying back up to Edmonton.

So, yes our plan is to fly and once we get there, my husband would explain our situation. He is going to explain to them that we are newly married and intend on applying for spousal sponsorship. We have paid the application fees, so that would be one of our proofs that our marriage is real and this is no sham. Now I am preparing to leave in 2 weeks and when I was asking around for last minute tips, someone said since I was flying up, I better cover my a*s. I better have proofs, but when it comes to land crossing, it would be easier. Is this true?

I have no ties to the US, besides my parents. Any tips at all? Experiences? Anything and everything is appreciated. I am in panic mode now :(
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2012, 05:58 PM
RE: Border crossing - advice please
It's hard to say, only because the IO's are so different and you never really know what to expect.

My husband is in the same situation as you right now except we aren't newly married. We lived together in NJ for the last 5 years and then decided to move to Ontario. He had a very stressful job in the restaurant industry which was destroying our marriage (partially why we wanted to move to Canada to get a "new" start) and so we agreed he would quit his job for the time being so he could be free to come and go as he pleases. It's been 2 months and he has been back once and come back again to Canada with no problem.

He just left for family vacation to Maine on Thursday and he is due back this Thursday. I'm a little worried about what they may ask him but I feel like a lot of the time, we make a big deal out of nothing. I have filed for his PPR already. He still can come to Canada legally, just like you can. For proof of ties, you could always get your parents to write you a letter stating that you live in their home and that you are to return. Anything else tying you to the US, you can bring. If my husband has any troubles this time around, I might print off copies of all his bills and get a letter from his dad saying he lives with his dad.

I'm sure you will be fine. Try not to stress it too much. After 5 years of immigrationi n the US, I feel pretty immune to all of these things.

Application for Sponsorship Sent to Mississauga CIC - May 29, 2012
Application Received by CIC - June 4, 2012
Sponsorship Approval - October 10, 2012
PPR - February 21, 2013
Decision Made - March 6, 2013
COPR - Hopefully soon!
07-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I think a letter from your parents, at crossing might help, if you have any issues. I'm happy to see that you both are in similar situations as I...and the border still scares me, even if I'm not doing anything wrong! Good luck!

Met Online: February 2011
Met In Person: June 2011
Visited back and forth constantly
Engaged: August 2012
Work Permit Begins: November 2012
Married: August 2013
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Hello

We are a legal Immigration adviser and just noticed you added us on Facebook.

Are you looking for legal advice as to how to come to Canada?

Usually Lawyers charge over $3,000-$5,000 for their service and we find those fees have stopped people from wanting to come to Canada.

We want to make sure we can help as many people as we can to come to Canada without having to pay high fees.

We offer three different services:

For general questions to immigration we charge a LOW FEE of only $49.99.

To see if you qualify under any program we charge only $149.99.

If you are looking for us to help you out with your immigration forms we charge a LOW FEE of $299.99.

Please let us know which service you are looking for when you email us.

You can email us at lis@lisimmigrationservices.com
07-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Hello

We are a legal Immigration adviser and just noticed you added us on Facebook.

Are you looking for legal advice as to how to come to Canada?

Usually Lawyers charge over $3,000-$5,000 for their service and we find those fees have stopped people from wanting to come to Canada.

We want to make sure we can help as many people as we can to come to Canada without having to pay high fees.

We offer three different services:

For general questions to immigration we charge a LOW FEE of only $49.99.

To see if you qualify under any program we charge only $149.99.

If you are looking for us to help you out with your immigration forms we charge a LOW FEE of $299.99.

Please let us know which service you are looking for when you email us.

You can email us at lis@lisimmigrationservices.com
07-05-2012, 01:06 AM
(06-30-2012 01:01 AM)LovingMyCanuck Wrote:  So I have been reading around and asking around about my situation and I wanted to know your guy's take. So my husband (Canadian) will be flying down from Edmonton to the US. 5 days later we will be both flying back up to Edmonton.

So, yes our plan is to fly and once we get there, my husband would explain our situation. He is going to explain to them that we are newly married and intend on applying for spousal sponsorship. We have paid the application fees, so that would be one of our proofs that our marriage is real and this is no sham. Now I am preparing to leave in 2 weeks and when I was asking around for last minute tips, someone said since I was flying up, I better cover my a*s. I better have proofs, but when it comes to land crossing, it would be easier. Is this true?

I have no ties to the US, besides my parents. Any tips at all? Experiences? Anything and everything is appreciated. I am in panic mode now :(

The fact you've paid your fees should be solid proof you don't plan on overstaying, why pay if you planned on jumping the border?

Just relax and be honest when you get to the border. I was worried going up for my wedding but they just asked a few questions about who was going to move and when I said I was they asked inland our outland etc.

The closest I got to a suspicious question was why was I flying up but coming back via much cheaper bus. Told them my wife hates flying and they laughed and wished me luck with my wedding.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  need more advice please mandysharee 2 145 11-22-2014 03:54 PM
Last Post: mandysharee
  If I marry in the US and cross the border to Canada with Spouse 22girl 1 279 11-12-2014 04:31 PM
Last Post: Pen2Can
  Problems crossing the border Dottie1234 2 194 11-05-2014 01:47 AM
Last Post: miablake
Question Working across the border Panamai 3 154 09-30-2014 05:45 PM
Last Post: computergeek
  HELP PLEASE! FUTURE OUTLAND/INLAND APPLICANT IN NEED OF ADVICE jennyven23 14 679 08-20-2014 05:26 PM
  Stage 1 Approval- MSP Advice hockey6 5 393 08-19-2014 03:45 AM
Last Post: hockey6
  Question about crossing after they request my passport PhotoGuy 1 508 07-26-2014 11:33 PM
  Crossing the border without PR Addison 8 510 07-08-2014 02:20 AM
  Looking for US to Canada advice Vostercroft 53 6,013 06-27-2014 10:12 PM
  Article on border crossings, worth a read.. BentallsG 0 458 05-09-2014 11:03 AM
Last Post: BentallsG