Post Reply 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
US Citizen marrying Canadian Citizen in US & moving to Canada
06-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Post: #1
US Citizen marrying Canadian Citizen in US & moving to Canada

I am a US Citizen living in the USA and plan to marry my fiance who is a Canadian Citizen (born and lives there) in November 2011. I intend to move to Canada with my new husband after our wedding in November. We are assuming the Spousal Sponsorship is the best route to go...However, I am looking for advice from anyone who has been in this or a similar situation. One of my questions is; after our wedding, if we\'ve sent off our paperwork for Spousal Sponsorship, will I be able to go to Canada with my new husband, like on a Visitor Record, or what will I be able to do?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Post: #2
RE: US Citizen marrying Canadian Citizen in US & moving to Canada
First, congrats on your upcoming wedding :D

He MUST accompany you back through to Canada. Here\'s a couple links that will likely answer your questions:

Basically, you can only go as a visitor. Leave all your things behind, in storage or with family, and take any proof you can that you would return to the US if your application is denied (letters from employers saying they\'d rehire you, letters from family saying you\'d have a place to live, etc).Take proof you\'ve applied (or will apply) for PR, and your marriage certificate. Let your husband do all the talking - he\'ll ask at the border to bring you across to visit while the PR is in process and they\'ll direct you inside, don\'t say a word unless you\'re asked a question. I think I covered the basics, but the links I posted have a lot more information. Good luck!

194d (6m, 10d) from App Filed to PPR
Spreadsheet: Transfers from Buffalo - Time from Transfer to PPR
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2011 08:03 PM by RobsLuv.)
Post: #3
RE: US Citizen marrying Canadian Citizen in US & moving to Canada
The important thing to remember is that you cant even start the sponsorship process until you are legally married, so there is no way to prevent a period of time after your marriage where you are not eligible to live in Canada. You can visit, as orsyn mentioned above - but you cant move here with all your stuff, and you will not be eligible for healthcare, or able to work or go to school, until after you are approved as a permanent resident. That process can take up to a year. Since US citizens are only allowed to remain in Canada for up to six months, youll want to approach at the border with your new husband asking that you be allowed to stay with him. They may document you on a Visitor Record valid for a year - or it may only be valid for six months, but the VR is the key that you need to unlock an extension that you can apply for from within Canada, eliminating the need to leave Canada at the end of the six months and risk not being allowed to re-enter. Most US citizens who just come to Canada to visit are admitted without being given any documentation of their entry date - and that makes it very hard to extend status from within Canada. Thats why the VR is important.

We always recommend that US citizen applicants apply outland for permanent status and have their applications processed through Buffalo. There are various reasons that the outland process is preferable (and faster) over the inland process, but the bottom line is that there is no requirement of residency to the outland process so you can be in Canada or anywhere else in the world and still have your application processed through Buffalo by virtue of your US citizenship.

The US2Canada site was launched to help other US citizen spousal applicants immigrate to Canada - it gives you details about how to apply, how to get a medical, how to get your FBI clearance and how to visit your spouse in Canada while awaiting PR status. Hopefully it will give you an overview of the process and then feel free to come back and ask any specific questions you might have.

Congratulations! and Welcome to RTC.Welcome

2007Apr-to Buffalo
2007May-docs request
2008Jan-refused/inadmissible over 18 "dependent"
2008Feb-filed appeal
2008Dec-ADR fails
2010Jan-appeal allowed
2010Apr-Buffalo recvs file
05Jan2011-COPR recd
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  16 year old dependent moving to canada mlovell 1 321 04-29-2016 04:24 PM
Last Post: computergeek
  Outland spouse visiting Canada before PR status granted salutlisa 2 600 03-14-2016 07:29 PM
Last Post: tigerkay
  Sponsorship of new born baby to PR parents from Outside Canada nshukoor 0 327 03-01-2016 07:39 AM
Last Post: nshukoor
  n Canada without medical wesleykrahn 18 1,712 03-01-2016 04:40 AM
Last Post: wesleykrahn
  Canadian citizen to marry a US J1 Visa holder chris_j11 2 247 02-25-2016 10:39 PM
Last Post: karmaRider
  Am I a citizen or not? Confused.. Greybow 1 224 02-12-2016 05:43 PM
Last Post: computergeek
  Canadian citizen sponsoring an American spouse allabda 13 3,936 02-03-2016 03:32 PM
Last Post: computergeek
  paying taxes in Canada, too?.... Dagaz 3 412 01-08-2016 08:11 PM
Last Post: PMM
Wink Help!apply outland inside Canada, work permit expiring lilboy226 6 1,583 12-26-2015 08:57 PM
Last Post: computergeek
  American wife attending Canadian school while waiting for permanent residency kf88 1 377 12-23-2015 09:38 PM
Last Post: computergeek

Forum Jump: