Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
US Citizen marrying Canadian Citizen in US & moving to Canada
06-07-2011, 12:48 AM
US Citizen marrying Canadian Citizen in US & moving to Canada
Hello,

I am a US Citizen living in the USA and plan to marry my fiance who is a Canadian Citizen (born and lives there) in November 2011. I intend to move to Canada with my new husband after our wedding in November. We are assuming the Spousal Sponsorship is the best route to go...However, I am looking for advice from anyone who has been in this or a similar situation. One of my questions is; after our wedding, if we\'ve sent off our paperwork for Spousal Sponsorship, will I be able to go to Canada with my new husband, like on a Visitor Record, or what will I be able to do?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Sarlah
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 03:57 PM
RE: US Citizen marrying Canadian Citizen in US & moving to Canada
First, congrats on your upcoming wedding :D

He MUST accompany you back through to Canada. Here\'s a couple links that will likely answer your questions:
http://www.us2canada.com/visitor_record.html
http://roadtocanada.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7136

Basically, you can only go as a visitor. Leave all your things behind, in storage or with family, and take any proof you can that you would return to the US if your application is denied (letters from employers saying they\'d rehire you, letters from family saying you\'d have a place to live, etc).Take proof you\'ve applied (or will apply) for PR, and your marriage certificate. Let your husband do all the talking - he\'ll ask at the border to bring you across to visit while the PR is in process and they\'ll direct you inside, don\'t say a word unless you\'re asked a question. I think I covered the basics, but the links I posted have a lot more information. Good luck!

194d (6m, 10d) from App Filed to PPR
Spreadsheet: Transfers from Buffalo - Time from Transfer to PPR
06-07-2011, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2011 08:03 PM by RobsLuv.)
RE: US Citizen marrying Canadian Citizen in US & moving to Canada
The important thing to remember is that you cant even start the sponsorship process until you are legally married, so there is no way to prevent a period of time after your marriage where you are not eligible to live in Canada. You can visit, as orsyn mentioned above - but you cant move here with all your stuff, and you will not be eligible for healthcare, or able to work or go to school, until after you are approved as a permanent resident. That process can take up to a year. Since US citizens are only allowed to remain in Canada for up to six months, youll want to approach at the border with your new husband asking that you be allowed to stay with him. They may document you on a Visitor Record valid for a year - or it may only be valid for six months, but the VR is the key that you need to unlock an extension that you can apply for from within Canada, eliminating the need to leave Canada at the end of the six months and risk not being allowed to re-enter. Most US citizens who just come to Canada to visit are admitted without being given any documentation of their entry date - and that makes it very hard to extend status from within Canada. Thats why the VR is important.

We always recommend that US citizen applicants apply outland for permanent status and have their applications processed through Buffalo. There are various reasons that the outland process is preferable (and faster) over the inland process, but the bottom line is that there is no requirement of residency to the outland process so you can be in Canada or anywhere else in the world and still have your application processed through Buffalo by virtue of your US citizenship.

The US2Canada site was launched to help other US citizen spousal applicants immigrate to Canada - it gives you details about how to apply, how to get a medical, how to get your FBI clearance and how to visit your spouse in Canada while awaiting PR status. Hopefully it will give you an overview of the process and then feel free to come back and ask any specific questions you might have.

Congratulations! and Welcome to RTC.Welcome

2007Mar-submitted
2007Apr-to Buffalo
2007May-docs request
2008Jan-refused/inadmissible over 18 "dependent"
2008Feb-filed appeal
2008Dec-ADR fails
2010Jan-appeal allowed
2010Apr-Buffalo recvs file
30Nov2010-APPROVED!!
05Jan2011-COPR recd
31Jan2011-LANDED!!Bliss

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Canadian Citizen now US green card holder Tom88 0 49 09-01-2014 05:08 AM
Last Post: Tom88
Smile Our time line for USA to Canada spouse sponsorship outland canadianwife 2 87 08-30-2014 09:49 PM
Last Post: canadianwife
  Wedding in michigan living in canada Mitch1986 3 127 08-29-2014 01:04 AM
Last Post: miablake
  Applicants in Canada and Q# 6(a)(b)(c) of IMM1344 RobsLuv 17 7,676 08-27-2014 10:08 PM
Last Post: computergeek
  USA to CANADA-Only took 100 days! PhotoGuy 15 438 08-27-2014 04:14 AM
Last Post: Since1984
  4 out of 5 years to remain in Canada for Canadian citizenship miablake 7 242 08-25-2014 12:21 PM
  IEC-like, Swap to Canada program for US Students Alibali24 8 637 08-22-2014 11:03 PM
  Questions for Spousal Sponsorship application from Australia to Canada hayleysc 5 267 08-21-2014 03:57 PM
  American citizen moving to Ontario with Canadian partner pipereri 9 543 08-20-2014 12:24 AM
Last Post: pipereri
  Moving back to Canada with my American Husband lerbekmo 4 161 08-19-2014 02:02 AM