Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Change Conditions/Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor - Question
11-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Hello Everyone!

I have a question with regards to the Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor; we were told to include this when we send in our Sponsorship (in Canada for spouse) application and check off box "c" (an initial work permit or renewal of work permit). I spoke to a CIC rep on the phone, and she said it could take up to 8 months to recieve the work permit as well!!!!! OMG! Not sure why this (work permit) takes so long to process. Is it because they have to also make the decision of "first stage approvals" at the same time?

ejspet, I know you're anxiously waiting to work also....did you go this route as well? They also said that in applying for this and including this in our sponsorship application, my husband automaticlly has what they call "Implicit status" and that he wouldn't have to apply for extended stay seperately.....I hope I'm understanding tis properly! AAAAH! Confused :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2005, 03:32 PM
KeepingFaith,

The work permit part takes 7-8 months to approve as of today's date.The reason being as you got it,it is affiliated with your spouse being approved in principle or "Initial Decision" phase.If you send his application together with $150 for WP fees,once he is approved after 7-8 months,they will issue an open work permit,keeping in mind of the duration of time it takes to get his admissibility(medical,crminality,security) check done.

In many cases Vegreville,AB approves your application with "Decision Made" after 7-8 months period.This would mean everything is done and he is ready to land.That means during the same time he gets approved in principle,all admissibility checks are completed.

It is a debatable topic whether he must send an application to renew his visitor status with Vegreville,AB or just send the application for WP along with fees at the same time PR gets sent.If I am not mistaken it will be subject to "Deemed Status" if a joint PR-WP application is sent.So things look fine in that way.You can take this path.Alternately,he can send a separate application with $75 for visitor status extension checking box A in the application.

Hope this provides some insight.

JC

'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
11-17-2005, 06:25 PM
hmmm I'm not sure.. I haven't heard that... well about applying for work permit with application would keep you from having to extend your stay.. because JC is right, you don't get a work permit unless you have Approval in Principal first... after I get my AOR i'm going to send in the work permit request form with the $150 so that when i do get IA, they can mail it with the work permit and I don't have to apply seperatly and waste another 2 months waiting.

I went ahead and did the visitor extension tho. I wanted to be safe and have something in my hand to show that i'm allowed to be here another 6 months. LOL now once you get IA, and if they issue you the work permit, you wouldn't have to extend a visitor status, as work permits are granted for a year, and that there would be your permission to stay. :D

if you find out anything else, please let me know! lol
*hugs*

Amanda

~Amanda
Facebook me!
"All fear is the fear of loss, and only through that fear, can
we truly love..."[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url][url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[Image: event.png][/url]

[Image: event.png]
11-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Amanda,

A little bit of input for inland.You will not receive any AOR or IA.Vegreville,AB will not send any communication to you in respect to whether your spouse was approved as a sponsor or when they're starting your part.Within the time frame of 1.5-3 months start checking e-CAS over the net.You already mentioned you have a client id and that would be handy for access.

I used to think of all those AOR and IA when I sent out.In real life so far I haven't received anything,being 5 months in the run.They just update over e-CAS.I know it's very confusing when they say over the guide that they will send an AOR.In reality they don't and their AOR is the update over e-CAS.A different pattern for inland applicants.

In reality,they are so understaffed and over worked that if they would start issuing AOR for all applicants in paper,they would get simply flabburgasted with amount of human resource required for this work.So they just go for electronic and no sense of co-operation.

Once e-CAS gets updated,you can send in your WP with $150 with client id written for direction.It even takes 4-6 weeks for them to attach that to your previous file mailed.I sent some additional documents to boost the success rate for my application in 3rd week of Ocotber.They received it but not yet updated that they attached with the package I sent in early June.Call centre told me,it will take 4 weeks at max first.Now they're saying it will be more 2 weeks.I will start my own forensic query through MP,if I don't hear anything by coming Monday in respect to this additional documents.

The IA would be your initail decision or AIP.Just pray that they somehow speed up and get off from March 21st gridlock.

Lastly for keeping faith,they will generally set aside your spouse's application and won't even bother to check it,till AIP comes on the way.For the duration he will be deemed legal in Canada only by virtue and not on paper.If for some reason an interview is required,which I hope never should,things will get more complicated in regards to visitor status.
It would be more prudent to renew the status.Likewise,not doing so and sending a WP application with PR would work,being 100% optimistic.

Amanda,they will send your application back to you if some things are missing.They will write to you if they need additional information for sponsor and you.There is also alternate ways to track in-process stage such as calling FOSS file.It is the transcript of comprehensive whereabouts.It is full of code signs.If you ever need any help in decoding ask me,I will send you the index and terminology section,which would enable you to understand in plain English.You're still in early stage so have time to relax.I have already ordered my FOSS and won't be available before Christmas.Guess what they are more slow in that office.

I recently understood one fact why CPC-V got so slow.In mid February Minister allowed out-of-status applicants to go ahead and apply for PR.
Before that it was regualtory requirement that,an applicant must have legal status.Due to this relaxation of law,more applicants who're statusless tend to apply.But the human resource required to work on them hasn't increased substantially.Officers took vacations during summer.Combining all these factors they are all way behind.In spring they were processing cases within 5.5-6 months.In 2004 I had my study permit renewed within 10 days.In contrast this year it took me 48 days in September.

Keep in touch if you need any help.

Regards -

JC

God Bless the U.S.A.
11-17-2005, 08:15 PM
well, they received my application as of Sept 22nd, and nothing shows on e-cas. The only reason I have a client ID is because there is one on my extension approval notice I received. I don't know if that would even be the same client ID. But, nothing shows up with that, or with my receipt numbers for the application itself. Nothing, nada.

The CIC Call centre says for inland applications we will receive SOMETHING from CIC after 90 days after it was submitted so that would be end of december/first of january for me. I would think they would at least notify you if your sponsorship was rejected rather than not tell you.. but in any case it's been almost two months and i can't find out anything at all. E-Cas is worthless to me.

They would have to notify you somehow if you receive IA.. otherwise how could you know when you could work or get SIN/etc? something has to be going there.. you can't very well tell HRDC "i have approval, it says so online" to go get a SIN number... they want the approval in principal notice.. that's what the lady told me anyway at the office...
AND, I need something so that I can send in a few additional documents for added effect as well as a change of residential address. My mailing is fine but I'd like to change it anyway. So I need something to do that with too.

anyway.. I'm just one big question mark.. I don't know what's going on, or when something will. If anyone has in HARD evidence of anything, please pass it on. lol

~Amanda
Facebook me!

11-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Amanda,

I hate to be the one to tell you this but CIC Call Centre isn't correct...I went through the same loop with them when I submitted an inland application in July...after talking with an actual immigration officer I was told that they do not send you ANYTHING before the AIP...unless a document is missing in your application.

Inland process is drastically different than outside Canada...there is no AOR, IA (if necessary), Approval of Sponsorship Notice, etc. Your sponsorship and immigration applications will be processed at the same time, not seperately as with outside Canada. Thus you will not receive anything regarding if your sponsor is eligible to sponsor until the AIP in 7-8 months.

To answer your question..there is no IA for inland process and usually not for outside Canada spousals either. your AIP is the proof that you may apply for a work permit and OHIP coverage. Until you receive the work permit in hand, HRDC will not issue you a temporary SIN number. The approval in principle notice will not do you any good at HRDC until you receive the actual work permit. This is because the work permit, similiar to my student visa, will carry a File Number beginning with the letter "F" ironically. HRDC needs this file number to verify with CIC before a SIN number is issued.

I'm sure you'll find that regardless of risk in extending your visitor status, withdrawing and applying outside Canada is the only way to get your PR status quickly.

I received a nice call from the MP's office today that from Buffalo's response my file did appear to be in the final stages and required the landing fee before they can issue the visa. Keep in mind that my application was approved for sponsorship on October 17th, Buffalo didn't start processing till October 25th and already not even a month later I'm into the final stages.

It's like someone else told me earlier, Buffalo is giving out early christmas gifts to spouses!!! Why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

Steve
11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I just got off the phone with CIC and this is what the deal is (Please note that I have called them numerous times and had various agents tell me the same thing): If you're a spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen and are applying from with-in Canada for Permanent Residence then the following applies to you:

You do not need to send them a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union as it does not apply in this specific case. If you look on their website, click on Applications and forms, then click on Immigration applications for persons in Canada, then click on Spouse or Common-Law Partner Class under the PR Applications title. If you look at all the forms you will notice that the Statutory Declaration is not one of them.

With regards to maintaining legal status within Canada by applying for an extension to your visitor, work or student visa this is what CIC has told me: When you send your PR application in to Vegreville, Alberta you should, if you intend to work in Canada, send in an application To Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker. That is the title of the form. Follow the same steps I gave above to find this form except look under the title Temporary Residence Applications. As far as CIC has told me, if you send in this application with your PR application then you do not have to apply to extend your stay as a visitor ($75 fee) and will be granted an Open Work Permit without approval from HRDC or having a job offer, once you receive your AIP. Having applied for this shows your intent to extend your stay within Canada legally and thus you will be in the clear. Call CIC up if you want conformation of this advice, give them your situation in slow, clear English or French cause they may have had a long day.

Hope that clears everything up for you guys.Woohoo

Ant
11-17-2005, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2005 09:43 PM by yu274151.)
Amanda,

May be you missed out what I have said earlier.It seems Steve has made it pretty clear whatsoever.

Yupp,true one should apply for Buffalo,NY.This is not so true for all.Steve and Amanda,you both are US citizens and things are pretty different for you folks.Non US or green cards often face hardship from US Consul in Canada,if an applicant has to attain interview at Buffalo.Off-shore cases can't be transferred to inland and viceversa.So if an applicant is refused admission to US which is quite often done due to US INS's brudish attitude,things can go wee wee.

Every class has its odds and ends.

And Steve many congrats to your quick success.

JC

God Bless the U.S.A.
11-17-2005, 09:45 PM
JC,

I have to admit it, you sound like a pro. LOL.

Ant
11-17-2005, 09:49 PM
LOL.Wish this pro thing works in real life application.

How are you friend?How are you spending time over this waiting period?

JC

God Bless the U.S.A.
11-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone! :)

Ant, I too phoned CIC and recieved the same info....but you just can't be too sure, so thanks for inquiring about this as well! I'm feeling (a little) more at ease now.

On to the next challange!!!
11-18-2005, 02:28 PM
pHEW!!

I need that Chat room....

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"][Image: event.png]

[/url][url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/][/url]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2005, 08:37 PM
I am in the same exact boat as Amanda. In-Canada class, CIC-V, waiting... But different from Amanda, I am on e-CAS, I am 22 days ahead of Amanda though so maybe that will give you hope. Like I said many posts ago, I sen in my app and the received it September 01 - on e-CAS it says they started processing my application October 19 - now, it did not say anything on e-CAS until November 5 or so. Therefore, they may be looking at your application but are obviously behind saying when they entered it in the system. Seems like they are behind in everything at CIC-V. I dont want to pull my application because I dont want to go through another hassle of re-sending and etc. After paying all those fees, and money being as tight as it is, we cant afford the re-payment. We can afford the wait. Its sad and I want to be able to go into the US to see my relatives over the Holidays, but I am in Canada, where I want to be with the one I love. We can hang on Amanda. We can. Hell, sooner or later we will have a chat room here and everything!! Keep the faith Amanda, you and I are the same.

Hugs,

Alexandra
In-Canada Class, Common-Law
CIC Received Application: September 1, 2005
CIC Began Processing: October 19. 2005
Approved In Principle: April 20, 2006
Decision Made: August 17, 2006
Landing Interview: September 28, 2006
Received PR Card: October 25, 2006
Citizenship Calculation: Eligible January 1, 2010
11-19-2005, 06:05 AM
*hugs*

thank you so much for that Alexandra... that was so sweet. and i'm keeping the faith!! LOL and you're right.. we're here.. with the ones we love. *smiles* that's the greatest gift of all. :D

Hopefully by beginning of next month i'll pop up in E-cas so at least I know they say they are processing~ LOL

*hugs*

~Amanda
Facebook me!

11-19-2005, 03:27 PM
can i give ya'll a tip, don't go checking the e-CAS daily or even weekly, it'll drive you insane!! LoL.. just sit back and relax, it takes a long time for the application to be processed.. it took 3 months for them to start our application from when they recieved it, then another 3 months for them to cantact us and ask for Police clearances and other crap, then it took us 3 months to get that to them, lol, after that point they sped up tho, then they transefered us from Vegreville to London, and finally send us AOR's (10 months after our app was sent to them).. London is moving very fast tho, as my other post says we've had an interview scheduled, and re-sheduled..

as for the Client ID# my wifes has been the same since her very first Visitor Record a year and a half ago..
I even have a Client ID now.. cuz I'm a sponsor.. it came on my AOR.. oh, we never sent a thing to Mississagua, everythin went straight to Veg. now it's all in London..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Will U.S. credit matter when I get my PR in Canada? asandiego87 3 185 Yesterday 04:50 PM
Last Post: asandiego87
  USA to CANADA-Only took 100 days! PhotoGuy 19 819 09-22-2014 06:46 PM
Last Post: computergeek
  Change from inland to outland application cazk21 12 234 09-19-2014 11:16 PM
  extension of stay HELP please! goldensylph73 11 365 09-16-2014 10:31 PM
Last Post: goldensylph73
  moving from dubai to canada by spousal sponsorship angelski 1 119 09-14-2014 04:50 PM
  Fiancee entering Canada for marriage and sponsorship WinterSteel 16 935 09-14-2014 04:48 PM
  can i move my family to canada before pr approved? raybrew 3 181 09-09-2014 01:18 AM
Last Post: miablake
  Sponsorship Question Nancwilt57 6 328 09-09-2014 12:34 AM
Last Post: miablake
  car importing question canadianwife 2 153 09-02-2014 07:19 PM
Last Post: ISP221
  Coming as a visitor from US for 6 months (less a day) andrewkw 7 301 08-31-2014 01:27 AM
Last Post: canadianwife