Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sponsoring Spouse while he Visits Canada
04-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Sponsoring Spouse while he Visits Canada
So my fiance & I are looking into getting married soon and having me sponsor him to come here under the Family Class. I used to live on the Visa Journey forums when we were working on a K-1 Visa for me to go there but due to a recent events, moving to the USA just wasn't the smartest idea for us so I'm totally new to this website.

(1) Can my spouse visit me while I sponsor him? He is a US Citizen and has never lived here in Canada. Would our sponsorship then be classified as Outland since he does not have a permit/visa to live here currently?

(2) How long does a spousal sponsorship usually take? I know when Trudeau was elected, they stated that Family Class sponsorship would be processed within 12 months.

(3) Do I have to meet the minimum income requirement since he would be my spouse when we submit our application? I've read on the CIC website that the Minimum Income Requirement isn't necessary when sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner. I make $30,000/year. Would my spouse need to co-sign or can he co-sign even if it isn't needed?

(4) Once he obtains temporary residency, how long does that last until we could apply for him to obtain permanent residency? Can we travel during this time? (ex: to Europe or the USA to visit family)

I'll probably have more questions yet, but that's all I can think of right now haha.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2017, 05:54 AM
RE: Sponsoring Spouse while he Visits Canada
Hi,

(1) Yes your spouse can visit you. If he is American, he can stay for up to 6 months. Within 30 days of the 6 months, he can apply to extend his visit up to 12 months. My hubby and I applied outland, he was able to come and go as he pleased. (in reality- he ended up visiting with me for 4 months while we were waiting)

(2) It really depends. My application was approved in 4 months (we had a simple, straightforward case- and quadruple checked our application before submitting it haha). But you are correct- the CIC goal is to have it approved within 12.

(3) You do need to prove that you can support yourself and your husband. Per the CIC, you need to show that you can provide about $30,625/ year (for two people) (See IMM 5482 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information...asp#tb-3). I am not sure if your spouse can co-sign, i think it needs to be a Canadian. Since you are so close to that- i am sure you'll be fine.

(4) Unlike the USA K-9 visa, once the CIC approves your husband's application, he will be issued his permanent resident card- there is no "temporary resident status". This allows him to do almost everything citizens can do, including: work, and apply for health care (in Ontario he will have to wait 3 months, not sure about other provinces). He can travel freely during the application process (if he applies outland), and once his application has been approved- no travel restrictions.

Best of luck!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can sponsor(permanent resident)leave Canada while the application is under processing B88RR 1 82 07-23-2017 04:06 PM
Last Post: computergeek
  Spousal sponsporship inland application canada halugege11 8 2,283 05-11-2017 09:19 PM
Last Post: Angelo
  Canadian citizen living in States, bring family back to Canada owlofminerva 3 1,298 03-07-2017 12:28 AM
  2017 Inland application for spouse ebonekapone 1 1,847 03-07-2017 12:14 AM
  Wanting To Bring Family Members To Canada katiekat 1 1,004 12-15-2016 07:58 PM
Last Post: myrtle
  Life will be good in Canada mw1434 2 961 11-18-2016 01:10 AM
Last Post: danielbriere
  Moving to Canada with Chilean Wife grahamd 3 1,074 11-15-2016 09:00 AM
Last Post: Brain007
  Moving to Canada (questions relating to the move and items we own) RayRay 0 1,087 10-31-2016 11:56 PM
Last Post: RayRay
  Sponsoring Japanese wife Canuck_in_Japan 1 634 10-24-2016 07:52 PM
Question Leaving Canada while Inland PR application in process sophiazhang0817 1 1,844 10-14-2016 10:40 PM
Last Post: Omegabyte