Road To Canada Forums
Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - Printable Version

+- Road To Canada Forums (http://roadtocanada.com/forums)
+-- Forum: IMMIGRATION DISCUSSION (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Family Class (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives (/showthread.php?tid=6320)

Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - eddie786 - 08-18-2010 07:39 PM

Hello All,
My husband has a PR and was living in USA when we got married (No green card we were on work visa in USA).
After marriage we moved to Canada (I had a temporary visa) and applied for inland sponsorship in Nov 2009. I got a letter in Mid August 2010 that my case has been transferred to Etobicoke for further evaluation. As I do my research I realized that wait time in Etobicoke is unrealistically long (12-18 months) before you can get called for interview. I am very concerned now since it ruined all of my plans. I have few questions and would appreciate your help with this.
1. My husband and myself are moving to Ottawa in next 2 weeks, would it help if the case is transferred to Ottawa ?
2. I don't have OHIP, are there any prenatal coverages available or any private insurance that would cover my pregnancy. I am not pregnant yet ?
3. We are also considering withdrawing current application and filing and out land application from Pakistan. Will that help in this case or make it faster somehow ?
4. Can I get some sort of travel documents while my case is stuck in Etobicoke so I can take care of my exams back home, which I must take in 2011?
5. Anyone has ideas how long outland process takes in Islamabad, Pakistan ?
Appreciate your time.

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - morphia - 08-18-2010 10:45 PM

Hi

I don't know much about filing inland or if withdrawing is recommended or not - hoping someone with experience in that area would be more helpful.

As for Outland processing times in Islamabad, 8-14 months, you must also factor in about 42 days for Mississauga to approve your husband's sponsorship before it goes to Islamabad.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp#asia

I believe there are ways to get OHIP while waiting for your PR as an inland applicant, but not Outland. Does anyone have info on that here? It seems like her case is far enough along she should be able to apply?

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - RobsLuv - 08-18-2010 11:12 PM

OHIP is available after an inland applicant reaches first stage approval - but it's possible, since the ap was transferred to Etobicoke, that it went before first stage approval was given. At least that's usually the typical scenario.

If you're moving out of the GTA, then yes, the application would be transferred to the local office for your new address, but whether or not their timeline is any faster than Etobicoke remains to be seen, I guess. You could apply outland, but Islamabad (as morphia mentioned) is processing in 8-14 months, plus the time it takes (about 45 days) for CPC-Mississauga to assess the sponsor before the file gets transferred overseas. If the reason your application was transferred is because they want to interview you about doubts about your "genuine relationship", that will likely happen with outland processing also, and then you'd have to go to Islamabad for the interview and you'd probably not get back into Canada until your application was finalized (if it is). Drawback to inland, though, is that there is no right to appeal a refusal . . . so the reason your ap was transferred in the first place is important. You should probably order your FOSS notes to try to get some idea about what's going on before you make decisions about withdrawing the inland ap and reapplying outland. It may or may not end up being in your best interest to withdraw and start over again.

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - eddie786 - 08-19-2010 03:00 AM

Thank you both for your reply. AP was transferred to Etobicoke without the first stage approval. The letter only mentioned that case is transferred to Etobicoke for further processing. I am not sure if I can apply for OHIP under this scenario. I have been in Canada for almost an year and buying my own private insurance during this time. Our relationship is is genuine but we may not have provided enough proof to substantiate that. I am evaluating both inland waiting or withdrawing and applying out land again. I would appreciate if someone can elaborate a little further on the following questions.
1. What if I get pregnant while waiting for this inland process to be finalized? Does anyone know any insurance or any other way to handle this ?
2. Can we apply for any kind of traveling documents while waiting for inland AP ? I have to travel to Pakistan in mid 2011 to finish my med school otherwise I will lose my whole degree ?
3. Anyone knows about the inland processing times for Ottawa, I couldn't find it on internet ?
Thanks,

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - CatherineM - 08-19-2010 03:54 AM

Etobicoke is like falling down a deep, dark hole. I'm so sorry. I agree that if they are concerned about the genuineness of the relationship, that would follow you outland. As to pregnancy, there are pro-life groups in every major city that will help with things like that if you don't have insurance. Start with Catholic Social Services, and no you don't have to be Catholic to use their services.

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - eddie786 - 08-20-2010 01:54 PM

Thanks all, I am still doing research on wait times in Ottawa but no luck so far. Also since I can't apply for SIN now until I get stage 1 approval, I am considering applying for ITN for tax purpose. Please advise can I apply for ITN now and then move to SIN once I have my papers ready.

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - RobsLuv - 08-21-2010 04:19 PM

Yes, you can apply for ITN for tax purposes.

I wanted to respond to what you wrote in your other reply, though, about having to travel to Pakistan. If you need to leave Canada during this wait you really should seriously consider withdrawing the inland ap and starting over again outland. If you leave, chances are very good that you won't get back into Canada (because Pakistan is non-visa-exempt) and your inland PR ap will be forfeited. Now, I know you said you're moving to Ottawa, and I don't know about processing times for that office (your sponsor should be able to get that info from the Call Centre), but chances are your inland PR ap still wouldn't be finalized before you have to leave in mid-2011. However, Islamabad is finalizing spousal PR aps in 8-14 months . . . if you withdraw inland now and get an outland ap in process, the timing could be pretty close for you being able to go back to finish your degree at about the same time your application would be finalizing. (Be sure you time your medical so that the one year expiration falls AFTER you'll be finished with your degree because you'll have to come back to Canada to "land" before the medical expires, or you'll have to get another one.)

As far as doubts about the genuine relationship following you with an outland application - that depends on why they have doubts, and if that's actually the issue that caused the inland ap to be transferred. Again, order the FOSS notes so you know for sure - and if it's as you suspect and you just didn't submit enough proof of the genuine relationship, then fix that when you submit the outland ap.

You can stay in Canada even with an outland ap in process - as long as your temporary status stays valid. If an interview is required, you'll have to go to Islamabad to attend and then you may have to stay until things are finalized, but it's also possible - with quality, sufficient proof of the genuine relationship included with the outland submission - you could see the interview waived, which could extend your time in Canada until you'd have to leave anyway.

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - CatherineM - 08-21-2010 06:00 PM

I got a tax number before I received my SIN, and it has been nothing but trouble. Every single year since the change over, Revenue Canada has made us prove again we are married, and who I was. Each time it has gone so far as having to have our MP involved, not just his staffers. Every year for 3 years our MP has had to personally get on the phone and yell at Revenue Canada to fix it. Every year they tell us they have merged my old tax number into my SIN account, but it doesn't seem to work. Our MP said that if it happened again next year, He was going straight to the Minister.

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - RobsLuv - 08-23-2010 03:10 AM

(08-21-2010 06:00 PM)CatherineM Wrote:  I got a tax number before I received my SIN, and it has been nothing but trouble. Every single year since the change over, Revenue Canada has made us prove again we are married, and who I was. Each time it has gone so far as having to have our MP involved, not just his staffers. Every year for 3 years our MP has had to personally get on the phone and yell at Revenue Canada to fix it. Every year they tell us they have merged my old tax number into my SIN account, but it doesn't seem to work. Our MP said that if it happened again next year, He was going straight to the Minister.

This should be interesting. I have an ITN, and 2009 was my first tax year filing my own return with my temporary SIN. Oh joy, another bureaucracy to mess with Banghead

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - CatherineM - 08-23-2010 06:42 PM

(08-23-2010 03:10 AM)RobsLuv Wrote:  
(08-21-2010 06:00 PM)CatherineM Wrote:  I got a tax number before I received my SIN, and it has been nothing but trouble. Every single year since the change over, Revenue Canada has made us prove again we are married, and who I was. Each time it has gone so far as having to have our MP involved, not just his staffers. Every year for 3 years our MP has had to personally get on the phone and yell at Revenue Canada to fix it. Every year they tell us they have merged my old tax number into my SIN account, but it doesn't seem to work. Our MP said that if it happened again next year, He was going straight to the Minister.

This should be interesting. I have an ITN, and 2009 was my first tax year filing my own return with my temporary SIN. Oh joy, another bureaucracy to mess with Banghead

So You're going to end up with 3 different numbers eventually. That's scary.

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - eddie786 - 08-24-2010 04:45 PM

Thank you all for clarification on ITN. Coming back to original issue, does someone have experience on how to involve MP to expedite the immigration process ? Etobicoke center has some serious issues and creating problems for a lot of people. I want to explore all the options before I withdraw my application and start over.

Thanks,

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - CatherineM - 08-24-2010 11:04 PM

Your MP can't help you with the length of the wait at Etobicoke. There are just so many people in line ahead of you.

RE: Application sent to Etobicoke and now looking for alternatives - krazygimp - 11-26-2010 03:20 AM

Hey there,

From recent personal experiece:

Received letter that case was transferred to local office (etob) in mid May 2010.

Interview requested: late October 2010

I'm assuming that your interview can perhaps be sometime in March?

Hope that helps!